Lafayette Newspaper

About The Lafayette

Access this Collection

Browse by date:
chronological
or reverse

The Lafayette, the oldest college newspaper in Pennsylvania, began publication as The Lafayette Monthly in September 1870. It served as a combined literary and news magazine, with more emphasis on the former. The name was changed to The Lafayette Journal in September 1875 to signal an increased focus on news of the college and the alumni. Its final name, The Lafayette, was adopted in October of 1884.

The Lafayette has been at times a monthly, a fortnightly, a weekly, and a semi-weekly. It has been published continuously since 1870, except during World War II, when its operations were suspended between the fall of 1943 and March of 1945.

Using the Digital Collection

Several tools are available to help navigate over 4,200 digitized issues of The Lafayette. The advanced search page allows one to use ANY, ALL, and NONE operators, search by proximity, and by date. Using the date search feature, it is possible to view subsets of the entire collection, for instance, the 1900s, 10s, 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 2000s. All search and browse results are presented in chronological order by default, but can be easily reversed to show recent issues first by clicking the "date" column heading.

Whole issues and individual pages can be saved to temporary personal collections while browsing, and "reference URLs" can be created to link directly to items of interest. Pages can be zoomed and panned, items of interest can be clipped for future use, and entire issues can be downloaded in PDF format. These features, and more, are documented in the help pages.

Digitization of The Lafayette funded by Friends of Skillman Library.