The Lafayette, the oldest college newspaper in Pennsylvania, began publication as The Lafayette Monthly in September 1870. It served as a combined literary and news magazine, with more emphasis on the former. The name was changed to The Lafayette Journal in September 1875 to signal an increased focus on news of the college and the alumni. Its final name, The Lafayette, was adopted in October of 1884.
The Lafayette has been at times a monthly, a fortnightly, a weekly, and a semi-weekly. It has been published continuously since 1870, except during World War II, when its operations were suspended between the fall of 1943 and March of 1945.
Using the Collection
The entire Lafayette Newspaper collection can be browsed using the links in the upper-right of this page, or it can be browsed limited to a single decade:
For robust search capabilities across this collection, please refer to the "Search" link in the navigation bar at the top of the page. When browsing or searching the contents of this collection, displayed results can be further limited using the "Refine" feature; sorted along various fields (as either ascending or descending); and displayed in list or grid view.
Digitization of The Lafayette funded by Friends of Skillman Library.