mckelvy house banner

View entire collection sorted by:

Photographic record of McKelvy House, an architectural landmark used by Lafayette College as a residence for student scholars. The images document the 1888 McKim, Mead and White-designed house, originally known as Oakhurst, during its three periods of ownership—(1888-1914) as the home of the family of John Eyerman, who built the house and was briefly on the Lafayette faculty as a lecturer in mineralogy; (1914-1960) as the home of the family of Francis G. McKelvy, Lafayette trustee and chairman of Alpha Portland Cement; and (1962-present) as a residence for Lafayette’s “McKelvy Scholars.” Both interior and exterior images of the house are included, as well as extensive images of the gardens. The original Italianate garden was designed by the noted landscape architect Nathan Barrett, with a subsequent design executed in 1919 by the pioneering female landscape architect, Marian Cruger Coffin.

Using the Collection

The entire McKelvy House collection can be browsed using the links in the upper-right of this page. For robust search capabilities across this collection, please refer to the “Search” link in the navigation bar at the top of the page. When browsing or searching the contents of this collection, displayed results can be further limited using the “Refine” feature; sorted along various fields (as either ascending or descending); and displayed in list or grid view.